[Discuss-gnuradio] GRC uses OSS instead of ALSA??

From: John Meloche
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC uses OSS instead of ALSA??
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 12:54:37 -0400

Hi guys,

My application requires that I use a multi-channel audio device as an audio source.  I have in my system of hardware the Presonus 1818VSL external USB device.  This audio source is definetely working correctly with Ubuntu as I can monitor the level of each channel using Ardour without any preconfiguration whatsoever.

My problem is that I am having absolutely no luck in trying to establish a connection between GRC and my multi-channel sound device (Presonus 1818).  I have uninstalled pulse audio and made the chages to the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file  as per these directions.  I know for fact that this did work about two months ago, at that time, I was measuring each audio input in GRC using a scope sink.  It was beautiful and it worked fantasticly) http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/28993.page

Regardless of how my multi-channel audio source is delcared (i.e. blank, hw:0,0 or plughw:0,0)  GRC will always report that the OSS source has no file or directory.  I have read that OSS was discontinued quite some time ago.  How can I force GRC to use only the ALSA audio source?

I have attached a couple of screen shots showing my very simple flowgraph and the ALSA mixer info.

Thanks in advance for any advise to get me rolling in the right direction.

John