Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] GNU Radio flow graph code

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] GNU Radio flow graph code
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:22:08 +0200

Hi Alejandro,

please always ask on the list!

GNU Radio companion only generates a single python file containing the
definition of your flow graph.
This flowgraph consists of connected blocks, of which the USRP UHD
sink/source is capable of communicating using UHD.
Its source code can be found in gr-uhd.

As you can see, I think there's a bit of misconception on how a GNU
Radio application works; so you might want to read up on the beginners'
tutorials, especially "what is GNU Radio (and why do I want it)" and
writing your first python application on gnuradio.org.
See my notes in your text below :)

Greetings,
Marcus

On 14.07.2014 22:12, alejandro kilei wrote:
> I've been searching through the Python files that GNU Radio Companion uses,
> especially those located in the uhd directory.
GRC doesn't use any of these; it just uses the XML block definitions to
build the flowgraph python executable.
>  I'm a bit confused how GNU
> Radio Companion interfaces with the UHD.

Not at all, it just connects the UHD source/sink with the rest of your
application, and doesn't care what happens inside that block.

> Do you know which file UHD is
> instantiated?
UHD is a library; you don't instantiate it. You get an instance of the
usrp_sink or _source, which are GNU Radio blocks.
> Also, along the same lines, does GNU RC
We call it GRC, or GNU Radio companion; GNU RC is just too confusing, as
GNU is a *huge* project, and GNU Radio is but one GNU project of
hundreds, of which the GNU Radio Companion is but a graphical user
interface.
>  open a file for UHD
> data and then close it,
UHD is a library! You get UHD device objects, which have streamer
objects, which have recv() and send() methods. For UHD documentation,
google for Ettus UHD doxygen.
> or does it make a FIFO, or does it do something
> else (the file where this happens would also be helpful)?
Look at the gr-uhd/lib/*.cc files, or if you want something that uses
UHD but isn't part of the (complex) GNU Radio framework, look at the
examples that come with the UHD source code.