Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP I/O Buffering

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP I/O Buffering
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 19:54:12 -0400

On 09/07/2014 07:08 PM, Peter Witkowski wrote:
Not sure I follow.  If I have a large enough buffer, the data coming in and the data coming out should be free of concurrency issues and should be able to work just fine. That is, as long as the producer thread can keep adding data to the message queue, I should be OK.  If it gets locked out due to concurrency issues, I can see that this is where there could be issues (e.g., I drop packets because the producer thread can't push data since it's locked out of the message queue).  Also, a large enough buffer could also alleviate the issue all together since I would be able to record for hours before the overflow would take place.

My sample rates are on the order of 400 MB/s (well within PCIe x4 spec).  Also, my RAID array has been benchmarked to handle roughly 800 MB/s.  The flow-graph is nothing more than a USRP source tied into a File Meta Sink.

Certainly, if you could somehow put together *hours* of buffering at 400MB/sec, you'd be in good shape, provided you don't exceed that buffer.
  But, well, at 400MB per second, 10 seconds is 4GB, 100 seconds is 400GB, etc.  Pretty soon you run out of DRAM.

So, at 100Msps, you'll have a hard time on most systems.   Try just writing with rx_samples_to_file (a UHD-only example that comes with
  UHD), which avoids Gnu Radio overheads entirely.  But really, recording at 100Msps (400MB/sec in your example) is challenging, even if
  you don't do much with the samples.  Gnu Radio adds some overhead that you probably don't need just to record samples.