Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DAB - Help

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DAB - Help
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:18:58 -0700

On 25.09.2014 03:14, Korbinian Pfaffeneder wrote:
Hello together,
i've just started to play with GNU Radio and i use a DVB-T USB Stick
(Tuner R820T) as Source. I've already built a FM receiver and now i want
to listen to DAB. My signal processing skills are on a rookie-level. So,
my question is, is it possible to create a DAB receiver with
the standard blocks in GRC (gnuradio 3.7)?  Would it be possible to use
the OFDM receiver? I found this website

The OFDM receiver is geared towards packetized data. It might work, but you'd need:
- A synchronization algorithm
- A better equalizer
- A definition for the packet format.

I would consider these things above rookie-level, but that's not to discourage you from trying :) Also, there are many projects out there for digital radio. There's gr-drm (not sure if it includes a full rx, though) and I thought there's a GNU Radio DAB rx out there (ask the Googles). And DVB-T is not *that* different, and we have GNU Radio codes for that, too.

http://www.zhaw.ch/de/engineering/institute-zentren/zsn/projekte/gnu-radio.html
for a complete DAB Receiver, but it needs the gnuradio-core, which only
exists in older gnuradio versions.

Transitioning to the new version should be simple if you're just using stock blocks. There's a wiki page on the transition which will help you porting.

Cheers,