Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN down indefinitely, but hopefully not for lo

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN down indefinitely, but hopefully not for long (want feedback)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 08:21:54 +0200

On 10/03/2014 12:44 AM, George Nychis wrote:
> Marcus,  I like the idea of an uber-repo with external submodules.  That
> would mean these submodules could link to a repo we could provide the
> user, a repo they already have on github, or a repo they have on some
> other external server.  But in the end, our uber repo would point to all
> of them and then they could update the commit that external submodule
> points to over time.  Thanks for that suggestion.

Sorry for being a buzzkill here,

but I don't really like this except as a temporary/transition solution.
Assume CGRAN really takes off and grows. Do you really want all OOTs out
there in a single repo? What exactly is their logical connection, which
would warrant them all being tied together in a super-repo?
This would require someone to keep updating the submodules, too, which
seems unnecessary.

In the long run, I would assume people want to host their OOTs on github
(or similar services), and CGRAN would simply be a link to those.
As I said, during a transition time, we might want something else.
But submodules are messy, and I suggest not using them for this
particular application.