[Discuss-gnuradio] LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE and "improperly" stopping gnuradio

From: Eleftherios(Lef) Kampianakis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE and "improperly" stopping gnuradio
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:40:12 -0800

Hello all,

I am facing a strange problem when I am starting my gnuradio script. I keep getting the following message.

-- Operating over USB 3.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "file_sinks.py", line 104, in <module>
    tb = file_sinks()
  File "file_sinks.py", line 47, in __init__
    channels=range(2),
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py", line 122, in constructor_interceptor
    return old_constructor(*args)
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py", line 1753, in make
    return _uhd_swig.usrp_source_make(*args)
RuntimeError: RuntimeError: usb rx8 submit failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE

I have been receiving  this error while executing UHD scripts, GRC flowgraphs and python scripts. As an example, the latest python script that I have developed looks like this:

    tb = file_sinks()
    try:
        while(True):
            raw_input('Press any key to begin..')
            tb.start()
            raw_input('Press any key to stop..')
            tb.stop()
            tb.blocks_file_source_0.seek(0,0)
            tb.wait()
    except (KeyboardInterrupt):
        tb.stop()
        tb.blocks_file_source_0.seek(0,0)
        tb.wait()
        sys.exit()

In order to stop the script I issue a ctrl-c to the terminal and as you can see I manage the correspinding interrupt by properly stopping the top_block. However, the next time I execute the script I get the aforementioned error.

This error occurs even in simple GRC flow graphs whenever I press the stop button. However if I just close the WX window that pops up, I wont get it the next time I execute my script.

The only way to avoid this error in a future execution is to remove and re-insert the usb cable from the computer. My intuition is that it is a low-level driver problem but I cannt really figure out what's going on, let alone fix it.

Removing and re-inserting the USB cable as one can imagine is quite discomforting so any suggestions on how to approach this are more than welcome.

My setup is the following:
Macmini Late 2012, OSX 10.9.5 gnuradio 3.7.5.1

--
Eleftherios(Lefteris) Kampianakis
Electronics and Computer Engineer