Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] (no subject)

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:41:45 +0100

Hi Vishwanatha,

Demodulation of phase-depending modulations requires some kind of synchronization.

There's more approaches than costas loops to phase synchronization; however, they're usually very specific to a channel/signal model and can't be universally applied, or very inefficient, or very complicated to explain. So the important question here is: Why do you need something else than a phase error feedback loop? You can of course just estimate your phase offset once using a set of known symbols (e.g. a preamble), and use that for as long as you think your channel and transceiver are coherent, but I think you've already considered that, since you ask how to get rid of the loop, and recognized that it's a good idea to continuously account for changing phase.

Greetings,
Marcus

PS: There's not only sirs on this list, also ladies, and we're not very formal on here, so a quick "hello" would totally be sufficient :)