Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A few questions regarding QT GUI development

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A few questions regarding QT GUI development
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:03:06 -0700

Whoops, didn't see this reply when I wrote my own!

On 24.03.2015 09:54, Tom Rondeau wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:01 AM, George Hadley <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Greetings all,

             I recently began using gnuradio and GRC with a pair of
    USRPs. It's my understanding that plans are underway to ultimately
    remove WX in v3.9 as a GUI option from gnuradio, and replace it with
    QT. It's also my understanding that QT GUI development is underway
    in future versions of gnuradio. I'm interested in attempting to help
    develop for gnuradio and have forked a copy of the source from github.

Adding a bit to what Marcus said.

             With that in mind, I have a few questions:

         1. Who is involved with QT GUI development for gnuradio?

Mostly, but not solely, me. More people working on this feature would be
nice.

         1. What future improvements, especially functionality related,
            are planned for gnuradio QT? All I have been able to find in
            the 3.8.0 roadmap is that grc will "introduce a QT version
            of GRC" (what does that mean?) and that gr-qtgui will be
            switching examples to use gr-qtgui instead of gr-wxgui.
            Functionality I'm most interested in includes X/Y mode for
            the QT GUI Time Sink and the ability to pause the output of
            the Time, Frequency, and Waterfall sinks (as is available
            via the "Stop" button in the WX counterparts.

We have plans to discuss the features we need next week at our hackfest.
There are really two that come to mind that need attention.
The first is a strip-chart feature of the time plots (instead of waiting
for a full number of samples, this would plot any new samples
immediately and move the graph to the right -- used for slow signals
mainly). The second is a persistence mode in the time plots.

The X/Y mode would be nice, sure, but it's basically what the
Constellation plot does.

And we have already switched all GNU Radio example to QT instead of WX.
That happened a while ago, but I guess that info still persists on the
wiki (which page? It should be amended).

As Marcus pointed out, click the middle mouse button (or whatever's
equivalent button 3 on your system). That menu has most of the
instrumentation that's available in WX, just as a menu instead of the
instrumentation panel. Including the ability to stop and save images.

         1. In looking over the WX and QT GUI options, I personally
            prefer the layout and functionality of the WX GUI components
            (specifically, the instrumentation options). Are there any
            plans to attempt to replicate the layout and options of the
            WX components? (Perhaps the old WX layout style and
            functionality are being abandoned for good reason; if that's
            the case, if anybody could clarify that for me or point me
            in the right direction I would be most appreciative.)

        Thanks everyone, and I look forward to hearing from you!

    --George

I don't like the instrumentation panel in WX. It's clunky and doesn't
scale well. And it takes up a lot of screen real estate that could be
used for looking at the signals. However, I know that a lot of people
like it for quick access to some of the features. As I said, it's all
available in the drop-down menu, but it can take a few clicks to get to
the right thing.

I'm actually working on this now. Something to hack on while at ELC,
basically. My main goal with it, though, is that I want a button or
trigger to hide the panel, so you can open it up or close it depending
on what you are doing or trying to see. But really, this is just adding
QT widgets to do what's already available in the menus, so nothing
really "new" just, hopefully, more user friendly.

One thing that would be really appreciated is if you want to look over
the manual page and make suggestions and add material to make it more
clear to people what the capabilities are and how to use them.

http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_qtgui.html

And we'll probably have more to-do's next week when we chat about this
at the hackfest.

Thanks for your interest.

Tom