Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about reverse-engineering a new mode

From: Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about reverse-engineering a new mode
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:36:43 +0200

Well, I do not expect public safety standards for bus AVL, often enough they are nothing more than a pimped APRS system. Would be interesting how the standard is called, what manufacturer...

I have built a system for an aviation authority (!), some years ago. They needed a system to transmit high precision location data from planes to ground station, for periodical recertification of ILS, radars, beacons and such stuff around airports. Their demand was, the new box must look exactly like the old one, in case somebody asks if the stuff is still the hardware mentioned in the license; I'm not kidding. So I have bought some 9k6 packet radio controllers with TRX on board, modified the filters for around 300 MHz, programmed their assigned frequencies into them, set them in some special mode to simulate a 4k8 RS232 cable...then took the sample of the old system, went to a milling shop, with the order "make me six boxes like this one, but so that I can install this different PCB into it". We put the modified ham gear into the boxes, made the interfacing 100% compatible, so the drop-in replacement was perfect.

If you find (in central Europe) 9k6 FSK packet radio bursts in MIL AV UHF band containing NMEA packets, it is very likely that it is my fault :) Quite often you can find simple stuff in places where really something highly sophisticated is expected.

Ralph.