Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] question about data types while creating blocks

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] question about data types while creating blocks
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 16:57:07 -0400

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
you're right, set_history works on all inputs simultaneously. That's an
architectural constraint; I don't think it would be /impossible/ to fix
that, i.e. to make GNU Radio have different history per input buffer,
but it's going to break API and therefore it's not going to be easy
finding a good solution [1].
But unless you want to do upstream development (which is always welcome,
by the way!), I'd recommend that you "emulate" additional history by
overriding your block's forecast() method and telling GNU Radio that you
need the additional number of items to produce a given amount of output;
there's no obligation to always consume all your input.

I must admit that I can't really follow your coding scheme; that has
nothing to do with your English (which is very good), but with the fact
that I haven't ever heard anything about chaotic coding.

At any rate, it might be helpful if you made a sketch of how your flow
graph *should* look like, and put short descriptions what each stream
transports in there.

Best regards,
Marcus

[1] you need to have a vector of history lengths instead of a single
integer; maybe Tom has some input on that.

I think a change as invasive as this needs someone to identify a serious need for it that's beyond one use-case that can be solved in other ways.

Tom