Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FEC in gnruadio

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FEC in gnruadio
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 09:29:05 -0400

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:26 AM, bob wole <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I just stared working on FEC in gnuradio. I found that there is gr-fec.  I want to know that which literature , books/papers, was followed during the implementation of the gr-fec so that I can go through the c++ implementation more productively and add something.

--
Bob

Hi Bob,

Have a look at the manual. The API itself is quite well described I think:

http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_fec.html

It doesn't cover the very recently added TPC and LDPC implementations.
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr_1_1fec_1_1ldpc__decoder.html
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr_1_1fec_1_1ldpc__decoder.html
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr_1_1fec_1_1tpc__encoder.html
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr_1_1fec_1_1tpc__decoder.html

Those could use work on their documentation.

We're also about to merge in another approach to LDPC encoding and decoding based on Tracie Perez's GSoC work. You can see the wip branch here:

https://github.com/trondeau/gnuradio/tree/fec/ldpc_methods

And the GSoC presentations:
http://www.trondeau.com/grcon2013-presentations#gsoc-perez
http://www.trondeau.com/grcon2013-presentations#gsoc-manu

Johannes Demel is working on polar codes this summer.

What's your particular interest in FEC? Are you looking to use it or implement other codes not already in gr-fec? For the FEC API itself, there is no other reference than the manual page and a presentation from the original author at our GRCons:

http://www.trondeau.com/grcon14-presentations#tut-mccarthy
http://www.trondeau.com/grcon2013-presentations#tut-mccarthy

Tom