Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CPU usage when hdlc framer is used

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CPU usage when hdlc framer is used
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 16:04:54 -0700

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:

if I understand you correctly, you think the situation calls for
something like a "wait for message flag" that a block would need to set
every work call?

Actually, this is the idea--that, *when needed*, make a call to the scheduler just before ending work, that says, in in effect--don't call me again until input message port X is not empty.

Otherwise, call me again whenever you otherwise would, which, for a source block, is when there is room in the output buffer (subject to other constraints.)

This would allow work() to be invoked one more times as needed, to exhaust any pending data that might exceed noutput_items in a given call, yet then finally wait on a message for more content.

The key point would be to not block in work, which prevents the scheduler from that block from processing any other events, but instead allow the scheduler itself to do so.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Labs - SDR Training and Development Services