Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mac gui

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mac gui
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 13:10:02 +0200

Hi Albin,

GUI interaction is usually a bit tricky. Generally, GNU Radio is also meant to be used as a library that your main application uses for signal processing, and you can get the raw samples in and out of your GNU Radio flowgraph from any native application, but I don't really think that's what you'd start off with.

If I had a recommendation: start off with the guided tutorials and the Qt visualizations in there. As a pretty easy, and in many cases performant enough, solution, use sockets, named FIFOs or ZMQ sinks/sources to exchange data between your Cocoa (or whatever) application and your (headless) GNU Radio application, running as a separate process. That makes building, modifying and debugging your signal processing separately from your GUI much easier, imho.

By the way, I think there might be some licensing issues if you link cocoa code against GPL'ed code, but that's basically only relevant if you start selling/distributing your program; if you just use a communication interface (rather than dirtectly linking against GNU Radio) you'd have two separate programs, which would inherently solve the licensing problem (you'd only need to guarantee your customers'/ software receivers' freedom to get, modify and distribute the source code for the GPL program).

Best regards,
Marcus