Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel Model and SNR

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel Model and SNR
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 11:30:16 -0700

On 25.07.2015 16:38, Richard Bell wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to convert the channel model noise voltage
> value into an SNR value for a simulation I'm making. The user wants to
> be able to enter an SNR value and simulate the BER. So I'm looking at
> the source code for Channel Model, and two things happen:
>
> 1) I would conclude that the Noise Voltage value corresponds to the
> standard deviation of the noise that will be produced, am I correct?

For a while, it was the standard deviation of a 1-D normal distribution,
so for complex data, you'd need to scale it up (because there you have a
2-D normal distribution). Check out the noise_power.grc example for more
help.

Remember that you usually want Eb/N0, which is clearly defined, whereas
SNR is a bit fuzzy and can mean all kinds of things.

Cheers,
Martin