Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Better approach for FEC

From: bob wole
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Better approach for FEC
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 22:29:16 +0500

> I think many of the folks who would have comments on this are at the Gnu
> Radio conference this week....
>

> On 08/26/2015 02:09 PM, bob wole wrote:
>

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 11:36 PM, bob wole <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a burst system in gnuradio which is working fine with usrps. I
>> have used tags (tx_time, tx_eob and tx_sob) to define packet boundaries and
>> transmission time. Tags are inserted by a block which is connected before
>> the usrp sink. I did not use any "tagged stream block" in the burst system.
>> All the blocks used are streaming blocks.
>>
>> Now I want to insert FEC in my system. After going through the FEC API, I
>> realized that I can use any of FEC deployments (Streaming, Tagged stream,
>> Asynchronus). Are there any difference(s) performance wise? Which one
>> should is better for my system?
>>
>> I have attached a picture of my current system and identified where I
>> want to insert FEC in tx and rx.
>>
>> Comments are appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Bob
>>

> Comments please ?
>
> --
> Bob

Bob,

The various models of handling packets through a GNU Radio system are
dependent on a few things, none of which are easy black/white issues to
describe or offer support on. Partly, it can just be your opinion on where
the lines are between the different models; or based on what blocks are
available in the different models. You don't want to go back and forth,
though, so when you move from a stream into a PDU-based system, you'll want
to stay there.

Performance is going to be dependent on the rest of your system as well. We
can't tell you one is better than the other, but we've put in a lot of
hooks into the system to help you understand those issues for yourself,
like using the performance counters and naming each thread with the block
name so top/htop can help.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your detailed comment. You are always helpful. I'll learn about performance counters and will try to use them in the flowgrpahs.

--
BobĀ