Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New random number generator

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New random number generator
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 09:53:49 -0700

On 02.09.2015 05:10, Stefan Wunsch wrote:
> Now my question: Before doing a pull request, do you have any concerns
> regarding memory use or processing load? Obviously the new
> implementation isn't that light-weight as the ten lines of code before.
> But the current implementation can not be used in any serious simulation
> or publication, which is highly dependent on good random numbers. Some
> information about the performance is given on this page: [2]. Look for
> the generator mt19937 in table 24.5.

Just a quick reminder that already, our noise source is known to be
pretty slow, which prompted the fast_noise_source (which precaches some
random data and reuses that). So, when you need maximum entropy, you use
the slow one and if you just want some AWGN you use the fast one. Unless
the load is significantly higher, I'd say we rather want better
randomness than faster noise sources -- and the fast noise source will
stay unaffected anyway.