Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VOLK: fast way to log10()?

From: Dennis Glatting
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VOLK: fast way to log10()?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:58:13 -0700

On Wed, 2015-09-16 at 12:49 -0400, address@hidden wrote:

Sure, but if the flow-graph basically is decimated 10:1 by the time it reaches the log10, improvements in log10 are going to have very little impact.  It is, I would assert, boldly and perhaps brashly,
 that log10 operations almost never need to be done at "line rate", since they are an artifice imposed by wanting to use standard engineering units.  There's very little need to do internal DSP math in
 standard engineering units...

You are probably right but you also probably know what you are doing.

GNURadio is also a learning tool. As such, those of us who do not know what they are doing, would find log10() and other mathematics useful as we're reading/studying texts and specs. After a while, hopefully, we figure things out.

It would also be nice to have a VOLK kernel that multiples a vector by a constant:

   void
   volk_32f_s32f_multiply( float* vecbuffer,
                           const float scalar
                           unsigned int num_points )

And an alias for volk_32f_s32f_normalize(): volk_32f_s32f_divide().

These would somewhat map to operations in MATLAB with less learners asking "how do I...?".