Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] On the convolutional code performance of gr-ieee8

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] On the convolutional code performance of gr-ieee802-11
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 06:21:22 -0700

The polynomial in gr-dtv is G1 = 171 and G2 = 133. It is a 1/2 rate code with puncturing to 2/3, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8.

Ron

On 09/21/2015 10:52 PM, Jeon wrote:
Thanks for your answers, Ron and Marcus.

I posted this question since my module is using both Reed Solomon (https://github.com/pjkundert/ezpwd-reed-solomon) and Convolutional Code (IT++). And I saw that CC is extremely slower than RS. Thus, I posted this question, but I made a question too short and lack some information. (Of course, this is because mechanism of RS is much much simpler than that of CC. Or it could be because ezpwd RS which I am using is optimized well, but IT++ CC is not.)

To improve my OOT's performance, thus, I need to replace IT++ with other some heavily optimized library or module.
I remember that...one of gr-fec, gr-dtv, gr-trellis can do this for me.

Now I wonder which gr module supports some arbitrary polynomials and code rate.
Specifically, I want one of three set of polynomials:

- Polynomial 1 (g0 = 133, g1 = 171, g2 = 165)
- Polynomial 2 (g0 = 131, g1 = 145, g2 = 133)
- Polynomial 3 (g0 = 131, g1 = 171, g2 = 133)

(Common: Code rate 1/4, 2/3 and 1/3, where 1/4 = repeat of code rate 1/2)

The reason that I try to implement one of three is,
document describing specification has some wrong points.
Text says polynomial 1, but figure shows polynomial 2.

One thing is hopeful:

I think that polynomial 3 seems a sort of widely used one
and that it has been already implemented by someone in GNU Radio,
which has been heavily optimized... I hope...

(While I am writing this, I've checked that gr-fec can do CC with arbitrary polynomials.
gnuradio/gr-fec/examples/fecapi_cc_decodres.grc
I still don't know optimization.)

I will keep looking into those gr-fec, dtv, trellis modules.
If someone have suggestions, I will appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Jeon.