[Discuss-gnuradio] Submitting OOT Module Questions

From: Richard Bell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Submitting OOT Module Questions
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:39:04 -0700

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of submitting my first OOT module for merge with GNU Radio base. It's a log gain AGC which converges much faster then the current AGCs when the input signal energy is low. I've read through the following link:
https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Development#Contributing-to-GNU-Radio-FAQ

1) My first question relates to documentation. Up to now, I've added documentation into my XML files as <doc></doc> tags. To use Doxygen, am I correct to put them in the public *.h file? Is this the only place it should go, or should I add it to the XML as well? I've never been able to get my documentation to propagate through to the GRC block without putting it into the XML, is this a sign of a problem?

2) If I understand the above link correctly, I should fork GNU Radio, create a new branch which I might call Log_AGC, add my code to that branch and then make a pull request. Am I misunderstanding anything?

3) As far as code style goes, should I avoid using

#define DEBUG
#ifdef DEBUG
std::cout << "Debug stuff" << "\n";
#endif

statements to hide debug code? That is what I currently do but I know it's not prevalent in the source.

4) I currently have an Optimize option in the GRC block which picks between the way you would write the block if you just used standard C++ statements (not optimized) and if you use Volk (optimized). Using control ports to compare the two, there is an improvement with volk. But I like that someone looking into the block can see how not to do it and then how to do it. Good for beginners jumping into GNU Radio.

Thanks,
Rich