Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] SIMD accelerated Mersenne-Twister

From: Stefan Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] SIMD accelerated Mersenne-Twister
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:15:49 +0100

About the use of VOLK (and random number generators):

I see two large groups of users. The one group knows everything about
their CPU but little about SIMD, the other one knows all about SIMD but
almost nothing about their CPU.

The first group uses VOLK because they call a VOLK function and get in
return the fastest possible implementation without thinking about SIMD
stuff. That's convenient and obviously portable, but you could use,
e.g., an AVX specific implementation as well because you know that it
will work with your CPU. All in all, VOLK is really nice but not
absolutely necessary for your work. That's probably the typical gnuradio
user, who runs his program on a single machine.

The latter group is interested in the portability, which is one of the
unique features of VOLK. E.g., you want to run your program on a server
farm. Then you could know everything about SIMD but you never know on
which machine you'll run your program because there are a lot of
different CPUs used in your farm. Mostly you want to simulate sth if you
have this use-case. And in almost every simulation you need random
numbers ;)

I have to admit that the benefit for gnuradio isn't that great but if
you want to promote VOLK as a generic library for the use of SIMD, the
SFMT (SIMD-oriented fast Mersenne Twister) implementation could be a
really interesting part.

Nevertheless, I will put the code in a VOLK OOT and publish it on my
github page. As far as I understand the copyright problem, this should
be possible because the OOT copyright isn't managed by the FSF (and the
licences match). If someone really starts to use this feature, we can
still reconsider to merge it in VOLK directly.

Greetings
Stefan