Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Latency.

From: Ludwig Stephan (CR/AEH4)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Latency.
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 08:37:39 +0000

Hi Will,

we have a similar problem with our set-up, and hence I can somehow confirm your findings, although we do not have a solution/explanation (yet), either.

We have a 2x2 MIMO N210 system (with MIMO cable and w/o GPSDO) in burst-mode (PDU messages from message strobe are issued every 500ms, converted into tagged stream and transmitted identically on both Tx antennae) and experience an offset of some 12µs between signals of each antenna. Internally, we take the current time from the USRPs directly before we transmit, then add some buffer time and use this as a tx_time tag’s value.

Since we do not rely on the original rx_time tag, we (and maybe you as well) can - at least - rule out this as a source.

In our case the offset changes between the antennae, i.e. one time ant1 is 12µs ahead, the other time ant2 is 12µs ahead. So it seems to be not constant :-( But the 12µs are pretty constant and independent from the chosen sampling frequency.

For the file: Up to now, we have not been able to synchronize samples for MIMO burst transmission with message strobes, while it synchronizes out of the box for continuous streams.

Unfortunately, we haven’t got an explanation, either. But I am about to contact Ettus support for that.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Stephan Ludwig

Robert
Bosch GmbH
Communication Technology (CR/AEH4)
Renningen
70465 Stuttgart
GERMANY

www.bosch.com

Tel. +49(711)811-8809
Fax +49(711)811-5187845
Mobile +49(172)5630639
address@hidden

Registered Office: Stuttgart, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14000;
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Franz Fehrenbach; Managing Directors: Dr. Volkmar Denner,
Dr. Stefan Asenkerschbaumer, Dr. Rolf Bulander, Dr. Stefan Hartung, Dr. Markus Heyn, Dr. Dirk Hoheisel,
Christoph Kübel, Uwe Raschke, Dr. Werner Struth, Peter Tyroller