Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Projects using the USRP

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Projects using the USRP
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 11:27:08 -0500

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 7:25 AM, w xd <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

        Nowadays as we all konw,we can use USRP implement many interesting applications.Many company and university used our USRP.And the website www.gnuradio.org show us a good tutorial.

       When I saw a similar instrument WARP and find they have a project website.And their website show many projects doing by WARP.Why our USRP don't  list many projects in our website www.gnuradio.org?I think add this part in our usrp website will benefit more people.

        Just a little suggestion.

        Thanks.

There's a distinct difference between the WARP board and GNU Radio. WARP sells hardware to specific people and therefore more directly engages it's buyers to know what they are doing with the hardware. GNU Radio is an open source project where people from all over the world simply download without going through us. So we really don't know all of our users and the projects that use GNU Radio. We try to keep tabs on things as much as possible, but that's usually through personal contacts.

On the GNU Radio home page, we have a few links to pages under "Further Information" where we (or, let me give proper credit, Martin Braun) spends time trying to organize various papers, projects, and users of GNU Radio. But we all know that these pages well under-represent the total body of work and users out there producing stuff, but that's because curation of all of this is a difficult job and not Martin's primary one.

The above is a bit of a passive way of saying: more help here is appreciated. If you have papers, presentations, and projects that you'd like to highlight, we have space to offer you!

But you were focusing your questions specifically on USRP projects. Ettus Research produces and sells USRPs, not the GNU Radio project. We have a very good and close relationship with Ettus Research, and they contribute and support GNU Radio in many, many ways. However, GNU Radio and USRPs are two are different projects, so we want to focus on projects that use GNU Radio whether or not they use USRPs. And Ettus Research would focus on projects that use USRPs whether or not they use GNU Radio.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Tom