Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Testing crystal accuracy

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Testing crystal accuracy
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 18:47:28 +0100

Oh, sorry, I forgot to hit the "replace LaTeX by rendered formulas"; let me re-do that, before I comment on your comments :)

Capture the same reference tone at $f_\text{ref}$ with both dongles, tuned to $f_\text{tune} =
      f_\text{ref}-f_\text{offset}$, choose $f_\text{offset}\approx \frac{f_\text{sample}}3$.
You would see a baseband tone at $f_{\text{offset},1}$ and $f_{\text{offset},2}$, respectively, and since no two oscillators are identical, $f_{\text{offset},1}\ne f_{\text{offset},2}$.
W.l.o.g., let $f_{\text{offset},1}$ be the tone as seen by your "improved" dongle.

Multiply both signals; what should happen is intermodulation; use a low-pass filter with a cutoff of ca $\frac{f_\text{sample}}4$, so that you just get the difference frequency at $f_{\text{offset},2}\pm f_{\text{offset},2}$.

Qt frequency sink, or quadrature demod->Qt time sink.

Cheers,
Marcus