Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Crosscompile Gnuradio for Rpi

From: West, Nathan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Crosscompile Gnuradio for Rpi
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 13:10:10 -0500

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Philip Balister <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/14/2016 06:06 PM, Patrick Sathyanathan wrote:
> Hi Matej,
>
> I have compiled GNUradio from source on the raspberry Pi2 model B. I had to increase the swap space, disable multiple make threads, and even then it took more than a day to complete the build. I ran into the same assembler error and found that none of the compile switches suggested in various forums fixed it. It appears the assembler on raspbian does not recognize the "sbfx" instruction even though the ARM documentation says it is supported by the processor on the Pi 2. Eventually I replaced that instruction with a equivalent sequence of assembly instructions and got the build to work. I don't recall the exact replacement right now but I can dig it up if you are interested.

I wonder if Raspian is built for armv6 (for the original rpi) which
likely didn't support that instruction.

Philip

I'm pretty confident this is the root cause and what I meant by flags being screwed up (aka specifying a much older subset of processor features). I'm not sure what the point of buying an armv7 processor is if you're going to compile everything for armv6. The compiler supports armv7 processors and I suspect with proper flags would work just fine.