Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Polyphase Clock Sync, lost samples - grc3.7.9

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Polyphase Clock Sync, lost samples - grc3.7.9
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:39:30 -0500

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Landsman, Arik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for the vast amounts of material you made available on the web over the years. Critical for anyone starting up.

Thanks! We've been working to provide better material for people. Glad to know it's helping!

for rrc, I had firdes.root_raised_cosine(32, 32, 1.0, eb, int(5*sps*32)) passed to the PPCS. so 5*8*32 taps... This matches the # of taps in the constellation mod block.

That seems right.

you said "30 bytes seems very large" - did you mean the 30byte message is too long, or the 10byte lost in the PPCS is too much?

I read your message too quickly. I thought you said you were missing 30 bytes. 10 bytes seems more reasonable. Basically, each arm of the filterbank will store a certain number of samples that need to get pushed out in the end. This is assumed in most applications where data is constantly streaming. But when you have a finite resource, you have to have some finishing condition to push things though.

Also, is padding with zeros at the Rx end seems like the right approach? padding the message with zeros at the Tx seems a bit wasteful, this was just for debug.

Arik

This sounds like a simulation where you have a file starting at one point, move through the modem and store in an output file. That's fine, but if this were a live system, you'd be pulling in data constantly at the receiver, which would push samples through, anyways. So yes it's a bit wasteful in the TX here, but I'm not sure that matters too much.

Tom