Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC 2016 : Implement optimized, standardized cha

From: Jan Krämer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC 2016 : Implement optimized, standardized channel codes
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 08:38:57 +0100

Hi Tane,

great to hear that you want to contribute to GSoC and GNURadio. Bad things first (well not really too bad ;) ), you should have some knowledge about the operations used in forward error correction. There are several techniques used (LDPC, Turbo-Decoder, Viterbi) but you don't have to know all of them. It is also a plus if you know in advance what kind of channel code you want to implement as it affects the way it can be optimized. If you don't know anything about decoders, a strong knowledge in optimizing, especially vectorizing, algorithms might help equally.
If you want some good places to start I would recommend the "GNURadio Guided Tutorials" [0], the documentation on VOLK [1] and the FEC-API [2] (the GNURadio Forward Error Correction Framework).

Hope that answers some of your questions.
Cheers,
Jan

[0] https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Guided_Tutorials
[1] http://libvolk.org/
[2] https://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_fec.html

 Hello I am Tane Juth , Third year student studying Software engineering  at the Faculty Of Engineering and technology,University of Buea .I wish to contribute to Gnuradio for the Google Summer Of Code period.I have looked at the project   " Implement optimized, standardized channel codes" ,and I am interested to know the difficulty level and any resources to get me started.I have followed the tutorial on OOT to completion and ran the test cases.I looked at the gr-fec module codes encoders and decoders ,if there is any link to get me practicing more with gnuradio I'll love to have it.Thanks