Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC Interest in Project: Offline Analysis and Vi

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC Interest in Project: Offline Analysis and Visualization Tools
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 17:47:36 -0500

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Usman Haider <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I have used offline plotting utilities frequently. I think a few interesting and useful things are missing in these utilities that can be added. For example, in one application I wanted to know the DC offset or simply DC value present in a burst. I couldn't do that with original gr_plot_iq so I modified it to get something like this

Inline image 1

Another on imgur

Things in my mind are

1. DC calculation and removal from the signal display
2. Signal power calculation and display
3. Filtering of signal (Highpass, lowpass, etc)
4. Mathematical operation (scale/Normalize, raising to power, anyother)
5. Saving portion of interest to another file. Often when doing analysis of test data, I came across a portion of data that is interesting (e.g unusual behavior) and I want to save/extract it from file. Currently, not possible.
6. Tabbed Display of the signal in various domain unprocessed (time, constellation, spectrum,) processed (mathematical operation, scale/normalize, filtered), I miss this feature because often I want to see spectrum, constellation and I/Q of a burst to see what is going on.
7. Also, I am currently thinking of adding an animate/play feature that can play the file slowly i.e user specified rate.

These things are often used in offline analysis I think.I will be happy to have feedback and comments on these from the community and things people want to have.

Further to discuss the about applying the filter during the offline analysis.  To do this following needs to be done behind-the-scene

a. Get data from the file file (open file using "open", read desired data using scipy.fromfile()), at start of application.
b. Get filter specification from the user using GUI (gain, sample_rate, cutoff_freq,  attenuation,window,transition_bw)
c. Get filter coefficients using filter specification (filter.firdes.*)
d. When user clicks submit/apply button, call a method/function that does the convolution of data with filter coefficients. Also apply group delays adjustment to convolution output.
e. Update the filtered data plot and show it to user when user clicks on that tab.
f. Give feedback to the user about the e.g order of the filter.

From a user perspective, he would have some GUI interface as below, I also marked the QT components that can be used to provide this GUI

Input file has to be provided by the user. He can select filter type, input filter parameters to design a filter of interest, and can click on the tabs for view data in the any domain he wants e.g filtered data or original data.

That is what currently on my mind. Waiting for feedback.

Regards,
Usman

I just wanted to point out that there are two sets of these tools. The ones based on Matplotlib like you showed in this email and then the ones based on QTGUI blocks. I made the latter to provide better consistency between the offline and online tools. I'm not saying you have to use this over the matplotlib, but whichever one you select and work on, once it's highly functioning and useful, we should get rid of the others (we'll do that on the GNU Radio side; you just focus on improving the tools).

Tom