Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Draft Proposal GSoC: Offline Analysis and Visuali

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Draft Proposal GSoC: Offline Analysis and Visualization Tools
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 15:26:26 +0100

Hi Usman,

make sure your punctuation is right; only use "?" after a sentence that really is a question. Make sure there is always a space after punctuation, and don't make generalizing (and hence, wrong) statements like "And yes,Polar Codes are the coolest codes", which are a bit too colloquial for an application. Also, after make sure that the words after abbreviations ("e.g." etc) have the right capitalization. There's also still some typos; get a friend to cross-read the document critically; four eyes see more than two.

We're usually not very picky about that, but considering this is an application, I might add that on the website, and in the documentation, we generally use the capitalization "GNU Radio", not "Gnu Radio"; we didn't invent the GNU project, it was already there when Eric Blossom started with GNU Radio.

Content-wise, you've got a very fine, week-wise breakdown of your plans; however, the items you'd do in those weeks seem of very different size and defined at vastly different precisions. Comparing

Week 8 (11th July - 17th July):
a. Add functionality for saving selected plot as a picture.
b. Extract user selected samples and save it to another file.

and

Week 6 (27th June - 03rd July):
a. Coding for signal visualization in time, frequency and scatter plots in
tabbed manner.
b. Updating of plots based on tags. e.g sample rate change can translate to
change in time-axis of time domain plot.

I'd say that Week 6 contains the a significant of the core deliverable of your GSoC proposal, whilst week 8 really has only two features to complete.  Maybe you can balance that timeline a little more; not all things take the same time!

Also, after literature, I'm still not sure what you mean with displaying something in a "tabbed manner"; you should explain that.

Best regards,
Marcus