Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus N210 GMSK 9600

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus N210 GMSK 9600
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 12:37:14 -0400

Hi Tom:

On Thu, 2016-03-24 at 08:56 -0600, Tom Golden wrote:
> Feel free to ignore this request - as you've helped me quite a lot.

This is the last one I'll respond to that isn't on list.

> I'm sending packets of N bytes containing repeating <pattern> in the
> data.  Using you're model, I tapped off of the binary slicer to save
> the bits to a file.  I think I'm in a good position SNR wise now - but
> I'm not seeing any repeated patterns in the data.  Any additional sage
> wisdom?

Well, unless you pack the bits into bytes, things will be hard to see in
the file.

Even then, if you don't use blocks to find your preamble and line things
up, then you might see your pattern shifted in the resulting bytes.

>From looking at the data, it looks like you have a preamble that is
something like

0x00 0x00 .. 0x00 0x55 0x01 0x04 ...

The long stream of 0's could fool the square and sync coarse frequency
sync, so be mindful of that.  You might have to do a smarter, data-aided
coarse frequency sync using your received preamble compared to a
reference preamble instead.

The MSK Timing recovery block isn't converging rapidly enough on the
0x55 to get you the right bits for that part of the preamble.
You should consider using the corr_est block to detect and tag your
preamble, so the MSK timing recovery block gets reset when it sees the
tag and converges rapidly on your preamble.

The frequency deviation is higher than I would expect for GMSK at 9600
baud with a BT of 0.4, which is +/- 2400 Hz max.  Check your modulation
index is 0.5, otherwise you're GFSK instead of GMSK; in case you care
about that.

Regards,
Andy