[Discuss-gnuradio] using DAB+FM+DVB-T dongle for spectrum monitoring

From: vempati Sarma
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] using DAB+FM+DVB-T dongle for spectrum monitoring
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:45:01 +0530

Hi All,
I am trying to use my first hardware with gnuradio and facing problems.Would be thankful for any help.
DAB+FM+DVB-T dongle; alternately described as
DVB-T tv stick DAB RTL2832U R820T 25MHz-1700MHz
(SDR E4000 upgrade version) for Win 8 HMP_430
My OS is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on Compaq nx6115.
Since I am not familiar with intricacies of build and file structures,
 I preferred to use default in-built versions of gnuradio and other software of Ubuntu packages.
I installed gr-osmocom with Synaptic Package manager.
On opening gnurdaio-comapnion I find osmocom source, rtl-sdr source in blocks menu.
For first trial I just connected RTL-SDR source with WX FFT sink, expecting to see spectrum.

Here is the log:
---------------
<< Welcome to GNU Radio Companion 3.7.2.1 >>>

>>> Done

Showing: "/home/vsrks/dongle1.grc"

Generating: "/home/vsrks/top_block.py"

Generating: "/home/vsrks/top_block.py"

Executing: "/home/vsrks/top_block.py"

linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.005.005-0-unknown

Using Volk machine: sse3_32_orc
gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6

FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.
END of log.

I find from archives a similar problem was raised in January, 2016,
 but I did not locate the solution. Any suggestions on how to modify the configuration?
I tried rmmod command but system replies with 'in use' error message,
 indicating device is claimed as soon as inserted.

--
vsrk sarma