[Discuss-gnuradio] Extracting tags from gr-zeromq blocks directly in pyt

From: Johannes Schmitz
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Extracting tags from gr-zeromq blocks directly in python with pmt.deserialize
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 10:41:29 +0200

Hello everyone,
is there a way to use
pmt.serialize(pmt_t obj, std::streambuf sink)
and especially

pmt.deserialize(std::streambuf source)

in Python?
Or is there another recommended way how to extract the serialized data from the zeromq messages?
See documentation here
http://gnuradio.org/doc/sphinx-3.7.0/pmt/serialize.html

We need it here in order to extract the tags send from a zeromq pub sink block directly in Python with the zeromq.probe_manager We did some crazy kind of reverse engineering of the serialization format in order to be able to manually extract the data using

pmt.deserialize_str(string str)

But that is not generic (just works for the tags of the USRP block) at all and will probably break in a new version or so.

Regards
Johannes