Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raspi FAQ/HOWTO/recipe ??????

From: Jean Luc
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raspi FAQ/HOWTO/recipe ??????
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 23:05:05 -0400

I've been trying as well to use GR on RPi (model 3), the ultimate purpose would be radio astronomy. A smaller form factor such as RPI's makes a remote installation more palatable than a full PC.

I wasn't able to compile it on RPi but compromised on using a more recent version (3.7.9-3~bpo8+1) taken from jessie-backports. The steps are below.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8B48AD6246925553 7638D0442B90D010

sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list and  add the following line:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install gnuradio

On the positive side, GR works on RPi3. However, it does keep one core to 100% in many cases. This was with input from an SDR with the 2Msps rate, though. Actually, one more problem: audio output. That part didn't work ("check topology failed on audio_alsa_sink"); I posted a message on the list the other day. I cannot say it's a GR problem, could be mine; I have yet to understand what the problem is.

JL.