Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analog and Digital Transmission in parallel

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analog and Digital Transmission in parallel
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 14:48:44 +0200

Hi Przemek,

yes, generating multiple different waveforms at once should be possible – after all, the USRP really doesn't care about what it's transmitting.

To me this sounds like you're taking the 2.5MHz bandwidth that the USRP has at 2.5MS/s, and divide it into channels – one for each of different modulations. Is that understanding correct?

A note: a wav source doesn't really have a sampling rate. It really just gives you the samples from the wav file, as sequence of numbers. The fact that some header in the wav file says "this has a sampling rate of 16kS/s" doesn't change anything about that sequence of numbers. Your DSP application's job is to generate a digital signal that makes sense out of that – which means you'll need operations that have an interpolating characteristic – i.e. for one sample going into that operation, >1 come out.  GNU Radio, however, really doesn't care or even know about the sampling rates – all operations are done on the sequence of numbers that your sample stream is, and frequencies are only meaningful as fraction of the sampling rate.

Best regards,

Marcus