Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal install of GNU Radio without GUI, etc pos

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal install of GNU Radio without GUI, etc possible?
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 21:12:51 -0700

On 08/04/2016 03:48 PM, Jason McHuff wrote:
> Hello, I am building a Linux server running ClearOS (a CentOS 7.2 derivative
> https://www.clearos.com/ ) and, among other things, want to use it to decode
> and record calls on a P25 trunking system.
>
> I was able to successfully get trunk-recorder working with the GNU Radio
> Live DVD (with great audio) and would like to get things permanently working
> with Clear OS.

Was this using op25?

I am wondering if it is possible to do a minimal install of
> GNU Radio without any GUI stuff (Clear OS doesn't have a desktop) and just
> what trunk-recorder needs to decode P25 using a RTL SDR.

I use the GUI to generate python code and then run the python code
remotely via a SSH connection to a headless machine with a full install
of gnuradio without using the GUI.

I presume it would be possible to build gnuradio without X11, Qt, or WX
- but I've never tried it.

> I'm guessing GNU Radio 3.7.5.1-2.el7 which is available in the Clear OS

The current version is 3.7.10.1.

> repos is too old, and when I did try to install using PyBOMBS on it before I
> ran into this issue with Apache Thrift

You don't need thrift - it's optional. I've never installed thrift and
the builds complete - but I do have swig installed.

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2016-06/msg00041.html
> and the build-gnuradio script (I think) seemed to mess up the user database,

The email addresses pkconfig, automake and libtool issues - nothing
about messing up a user database.

> and overall wouldn't mind doing things manually on a fresh install.

The nice thing about pybombs is it installs the dependencies - which is
the hard part. Then you can setup your build environment. Typing mkdir
build; cd build; cmake ../ is the easy part.