Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal install of GNU Radio without GUI, etc pos

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal install of GNU Radio without GUI, etc possible?
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 09:32:51 +0200

We might want to have gnuradio-headless LWR at the end of the day... I haven't tested this, but the "depends" section should read, assuming you want no ALSA (linux sound infrastructure) or UHD (no USRP support), as well as no GNU Radio Companion:

depends:
- boost
- fftw
- cppunit
- swig
- gsl
- cheetah
- numpy
- lxml
- cmake
- apache-thrift
- liblog4cpp
- zeromq
- python-zmq

As Eric and I have extensively experienced, apache-thrift is the thing most likely to be a nightmare among the remaining dependencies. If you don't want ctrlport, you can omit that, too; currently, I'd call ctrlport a bit of an "advanced feature"; it has many useful features, however, so you might look into this later.

Best regards,
Marcus
On 08.08.2016 04:46, Eric Statzer wrote:
On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 9:55 PM Jason McHuff <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would definitely suggest using pybombs, and in order to do that you
probably need to abandon (and clean up) any of your other installation
attempts.  Alternative versions of packages lingering in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PKG_CONFIG_PATH will cause bad things to happen, even
with pybombs.

Done.  I have reinstalled the OS and now have a blank slate.  (BTW, it would
be nice if there was something more helpful than "PyBOMBS.recipes - ERROR -
Illegal recipes command: add" when git is not installed.)

But don't I also have to remove stuff from "depends" in gnuradio.lwr along
with editing the "config_opt" line?  Won't PyBOMBS install all of those
regardless of how GNU Radio is to be built?  I think I'm going to go through
and try commenting stuff out and see how it goes.

BTW, GNU Radio on Android is an interesting idea.  I know there's the
SDRToch app that can work with an RTL-SDR, but I haven't seen the ability to
do trunking or digital.

Yes you are correct, you'll want to prune the graphics-related packages in the "depends" section of gnuradio.lwr (and possibly any other recipes that introduce dependencies that you don't want, as well).

This is probably getting ahead of things for an initial trial build, but if you get everything working it would be nice if you would submit a pull request for a gnuradio-minimal.lwr "prefix recipe".  A "prefix recipe" just gives you an easy way to override a bunch of configuration sections for multiple recipes, see gnuradio-default.lwr and gnuradio-stable.lwr for examples.  I'm sure you're not the only one who would find a minimal install useful. (myself included!)

Tom Rondeau had done a bunch of stuff to get GNU Radio built and running under Android, you can find all of his tools/notes/examples in [1].  Its mostly just proof-of-concept stuff, but the potential is there.

-Eric