[Discuss-gnuradio] Introducing gr-lora

From: Matt Knight
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introducing gr-lora
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 11:45:48 -0700

All,

I am pleased to present gr-lora, an open source OOT transceiver that
is compatible with the LoRa PHY. Source code is available here:
http://github.com/BastilleResearch/gr-lora

As an LPWAN, LoRa is designed to provide long range and low power
connectivity to embedded and "Internet of Things" focused devices. It
implements a chirp spread spectrum (CSS) modulation that encodes data
onto a wideband signal whose frequency continuously increases or
decreases. A unique design feature is that it is intended to operate
on ISM bands, meaning network operators need not possess expensive
spectrum licenses in order to broadly deploy wireless coverage.

Since LoRa is a closed-source PHY, this implementation is based on a
black box/blind signal analysis that was conducted in the absence of a
specification or definitive reference documentation. More information,
including my initial research results and slides from gr-lora's
introductory presentation at last week's GNU Radio Conference, is
archived on my personal github:
https://github.com/matt-knight/research

I welcome all contributions, comments, and suggestions. Thank you for reading!

Best,
Matt