Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to specify Audio Source device_name?

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to specify Audio Source device_name?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 16:02:54 -0700

On 09/22/2016 12:06 PM, Paul Zander wrote:
> Problem solved.  I used the Sound GUI under the Settingsmenu to select
> the audio source.
> I am not sure if that is PulseAudio, but the selections and gain
> settings do work.
>
> I even found that I could switch the device while the flowgraph was running.
>
> That said, I am puzzled about the intended usage of HW:1,0 and and
> similar device names.
> Suppose I create |~/.asoundrc |following the instructions at:
>   http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/ALSAPulseAudio
> |

> |Then should I be able to specify the device name in GRC
> |
> |and not have to rely on the audio setings?

Under Debian, the pulseaudio server is started in the daemon mode on
system startup - it takes control of all audio devices.

If you're running Ubuntu which is a fork of Debian, it should behave in
a manner, i.e., you have to use pulseaudio to use alsa device drivers.

I presume the syntax hw:1,0 is for alsa - although I've never seen it
displayed by aplay/arecord - but then I've always used pulseaudio.

And yes, under Find PulseAudio monitors

 http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/ALSAPulseAudio

should work as long as there is alsa monitor entry for the USB device.

I've never tried it.

-- Cinaed