Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU flow graph containing a UHD block - unable to

From: John B. Wood
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU flow graph containing a UHD block - unable to detect USRP E310
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 06:55:20 -0400

On 09/29/2016 11:44 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:
Hi John,

I really hate to nitpick, but I also feel that I must clarify a few things:
1.  The E310 has to be placed into "network mode", which loads the
E310 FPGA with appropriate code.
No, network mode works with the default (and only) FPGA image – it's
just a software daemon inside UHD.
Hello, Marcus. All I can say is that when the E310 is commanded to go into network mode a string of messages is issued that indicates the FPGA is being loaded to support the network mode. So my conclusion was that for network mode the FPGA is loaded with code other than that used when booting up.

OTOH, if you have a dedicated test LAN, which may consist of just the
E310 and the GRC computer, this shouldn't be an issue.
Well, if about 1MS/s is enough for you.
These days that's peanuts on a wired LAN, IMHO. Again, I use a dedicated LAN with my E310 so YMMV.

So my recommendations for those who develop SDR apps for the E310:

1.  Compile GRC with network mode enabled on the target platform.

2. Connect the target platform to the E310 via a wired LAN that is shared with few or no other users.

3. Use GRC on the target platform for flow graph programming and automatic Python code generation.

4. Following debugging, transfer the .py file(s) for the app to the E310 and from that point on you don't need the GRC GUI environment (unless more changes are required and you don't want to do Python file editing directly either on the target platform or while logged on to the E310).

5. Keep in mind that if your E310 apps output real-time graph info and/or an audio stream, those things will put noticeable load on your network.

At the risk of previously stating the obvious and sincerely,

--
       __    __     ______       __   John Wood

Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand.
Confucius