Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast Receiver Audio Synchronization ( Delay

From: Benny Alexandar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast Receiver Audio Synchronization ( Delay locked loop for the two-clock problem)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 09:58:05 +0000

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

May be my understanding is wrong, please correct me if it is wrong.  For example I'm using the DRM digital radio transmission and using the receiver for reception of digital radio. During live transmission the  sound from microphone or other sources are digitized and samples at a "nominal sampling frequency",  and the oscillator used here for sampling the audio signals can drift.  This is encoded and channel coded and transmitted.

I'm using USRP N210 to receive the digital transmission. USRP samples the RF input signal and converts to IQ signals and sends to PC or other hardware receiver. The receiver then does the channel decoding (OFDM demoudlation, carrier frequency offset correction etc) and audio  decoding and sends the audio output at "nominal sampling frequency" using audio hardware. So, the drift can happens in the following scenarios.

1. Transmitter crystal drifts which affects the audio sampling rate.

2. USRP uses separate crystal which can drift introducing drift on IQ samples.

3. PC audio hardware has to adjust these drifts to send the audio at adjusted sampling frequency to avoid buffer overrun/underun etc

I guess the drift in 2. can be adjusted through timing recovery as you mentioned.  But what about the audio drifts ?

Since there are no timestamps send as part of transmission,  to correct the drift in receiver the following can be applied.

Put a timestamp using receiver timer  (micro seconds timer) and stamp every physical frame arriving at receiever. After audio decoding stamp every audio frame with the corresponding frame duration. Then when it is rendered at the audio hardware it can check the current time and the packet time during every callback of audio frame and average the drift over some duration and correct the sampling frequency.

-ben