Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast Receiver Audio Synchronization ( Delay

From: Benny Alexandar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast Receiver Audio Synchronization ( Delay locked loop for the two-clock problem)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:46:57 +0000

>>It can, even if the data stream has irregular timing. That's why there
>>is a DLL there. See the links posted before for how it works.

Suppose if I have an audio hardware where I can set the ppm drift and the hardware adjusts the sampling frequency based on the ppm drift, then no need of the resampler and delay caused by resampler, but I need to measure the ppm drift. I was reading your paper on adaptive resampling. For example in case of broadcast receiver there is no feedback path from transmitter or any other sources. Only the receiver has to measure the drift and adjust to the incoming rate.  So my problem is how to measure the ppm drift using timestamps from only the audio sink and do I need the DLL if my hardware supports programing the ppm for adjusting the sampling frequency ? I can adjust it after every block of audio samples being rendered, which may be too frequent, instead average over few seconds and adjust it.

-ben