Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Tutorial Example Doesn't Work

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Tutorial Example Doesn't Work
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 13:55:42 +0100

Hi Gilad,

find something that actually produces a singing sine attached. Notice that the waterfall sink display isn't "perfect" by means of being a constant-height zig-zag line. But that was never to be expected – the DFT simply produces higher amplitudes at frequencies that are actually exactly "hit" by the signal, and since the signal frequency changes continously, this can't be always the case.

I don't think I can salvage the example – it's really an illustration of what not to do with a signal probe; if you want one signal to somehow modulate the other, you'd always (and that's the whole idea behind GR) combine the two sample streams, and not employ some inaccurate, hackish python-function-probing mechanism. So please don't take the example from the wiki as guideline for building modulators!

Best regards,
Marcus