[Discuss-gnuradio] Dynamic OFDM carrier allocation

From: adrian . perez . portero
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Dynamic OFDM carrier allocation
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 11:42:56 +0000

Hello,
I am currently implementing a system where a receiver monitors the channel, senses the non-allocated OFDM carriers, and transmits through the gaps. I have created a block that lets me estimate those gaps in the spectrum, but I have several doubts about how it interacts with the rest of the flowgraph:

1. I want the block to transmit the range of unallocated carriers to another part of the flowgraph. I've read about the Probe blocks and message passing, but they look overly complicated for the task. Could I directly access a GRC variable from my python code and set its value to the new range? Or should I use messages / probes?

2. It depends on the first question, but if I wanted to first average the obtained unallocated carriers and then transmit the value, how would a block that transmits 1 value every 5 inputs work in this situation? I guess messages would make more sense, as I could send the message once I am sure of the carrier allocation, and only update the variable with meaningful values.

3. As for the Carrier Allocation block, I've read in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2014-02/msg00416.html that it is not possible to update the allocated carriers during execution. When implementing a new block capable of doing that, would the constant change of the allocation cause problems with the tagged stream of constant length that comes before it?