Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Calculating Power of a signal in GNU Radio

From: Tellrell White
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Calculating Power of a signal in GNU Radio
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 01:36:47 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for your response.

From your response i can see you omitted a FFT block. Why wouldn't you need that block in the flowgraph?

Also, is the "fave-averager" a moving average block?

Tellrell White

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:41 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:

On 12/20/2016 06:28 PM, Tellrell White wrote:
Hello All
My goal is take in samples from my USRP N210 and calculate the average power of the signal. At the moment, I'm during a simulation in gnu radio to see if i can do this first using the following flow graph:

                              signal source -> stream to vec -> FFT -> complex to mag^2 -> file sink

Samp rate = 32k
Signal freq = 1k
FFT size = 1024

1) I saw on the mailing list that the WX Gui FFT sink block calculates calculates PSDs. Does anyone know if this is true or does it just calculate the complex magnitude?

2) Using the flow graph shown above is there any way that to display the power using a gui sink instead of using a file sink or to plot the output from the file sink in gnu radio?

Thanks
Tellrell White

If you want the power over some bandwidth, set your sample rate to that bandwidth and:

source--->complex_to_mag**2-->fave-averager-->(optional RMS)--->keep-one-in-N---->file sink

Now, the values you get out of that will be *linearly proportional* to the power as seen at the antenna terminals.  In order to know the
  actual power, you will need to calibrate over your desired range of bandwidths and center frequencies and gain.