Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WBFM modulation. Bad sound and aUaU

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WBFM modulation. Bad sound and aUaU
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 18:06:49 -0500

On 03/04/2017 06:58 PM, Fernando wrote:
Hi!

I'm tryng modulation/demodulation in WFBF (I've tried too NBFM with same
result)

I'm using a HackRF one to transmit and a NI-USRP2920 to receive.

I am using the attached block diagram

If I bypass both osmocom, connexting TX signal to RX, the system works
fine, but when I do TX and RX through both  osmocom it sunds very badly
and I get the followind log:

linux; GNU C++ version 5.3.1 20151219; Boost_105800;
UHD_003.009.002-0-unknown

Using Volk machine: sse4_a_64_orc
gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.9
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf
bladerf rfspace airspy redpitaya
-- Opening a USRP2/N-Series device...
-- Current recv frame size: 1472 bytes
-- Current send frame size: 1472 bytes
-- Using subdev spec 'A:0'.

UHD Warning:
     The hardware does not support the requested RX sample rate:
     Target sample rate: 2.640000 MSps
     Actual sample rate: 2.631579 MSps
gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.9
built-in sink types: uhd hackrf bladerf redpitaya file
Number of USB devices: 19
USB device 1d50:6089: 000000000000000071c469c82d291f43 match
Using HackRF One with firmware 2017.02.1
gr::log :INFO: audio source - Audio sink arch: alsa
Ulen(interp_taps) = 350
aUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUaU
Done

It is that it is too much for my system or it is that I am doing
something wrong.

regards

UHD is giving you a warning about an unsupported sample rate. That likely will cause things to be awful. Where did a sample-rate of 2.64Msps come from? Gnu Radio doesn't automatically "match" mis-matched sample rates between a source and a sink--your flow graph has to do that--just as a compiler for ordinary programming languages cannot "do what I meant to do, not what I typed", neither
  can Gnu Radio "intuit" what your intention was.