Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to contribute to GNU Radio in 5 mins or less

From: Murray Thomson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to contribute to GNU Radio in 5 mins or less per day!
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:05:59 +0000

Hi,

I tried to login with github but it didn't work. I've created an account now but you might want to have a look at that.

Cheers,
Murray

On 20 March 2017 at 05:54, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
You know those fake diet ads? Well, this is legit:

Have you ever thought, hey, I'd like to contribute to GNU Radio, but I
really don't have a lot of time? What if you could contribute in only a
few minutes per day, week, or month? Well, you can!

As you know, we've recently moved our wiki to https://wiki.gnuradio.org.
During the move, two not-so-good thing occurred:

1) Some of the autoimported pages from Redmine were borked during the
import. The conversion from Textile to MediaWiki format wasn't flawless.
In some cases, only small things went wrong. In others, entire sections
no longer made sense.

2) We realized (again) that there's still a lot of cruft on our wiki. A
lot of pages were culled during the move (on purpose), but sometimes
it's small subsections of pages that are now out-of-date.

The solution to both of these problems is: We need people to look at it.
But, per page, that can be done in only a few minutes.

So, here's my suggestion: How about YOU, dear potential contributor,
make this your start page:

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Special:Random

Or find some other way to randomly check out a wiki page. There's even a
hotkey: Alt-Shift-x.

With many eyes, this is an easily solvable issue.

Now, when browsing pages, these are things to watch out for:

- Were HTML entities translated where they shouldn't? E.g., do you see
code like this: d_foo-&gt;method(), which should read d_foo->method() ?
- Does it make sense to rename the page? Redmine used page titles as
IDs, whereas MediaWiki actually uses the page title as the page title.
- Is syntax highlighting working properly? This page, for example, took
a lot of manual labour to fix:
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Guided_Tutorial_GNU_Radio_in_C++
(and everytime I go back, I find more issues...)
- Is the content actually accurate?

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Martin