Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on Beaglebone black

From: Usman Haider
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on Beaglebone black
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:50:49 +0500

Marcus,

Adding the command to my useful commands list. Thanks.

--
Usman

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:

A common way to figure out dependencies is to look into what other builders used – in your case, you can check very easily:

apt-get build-dep gnuradio

Will list (and if you want to, install) all packages that the package maintainer deemed necessary to build GNU Radio. Note that this will include *all* dependencies, including doxygen for documentation, latex for formulas in documentation, all the graphical libraries and so on. But: It's easier to look at each package in a list and quickly decide whether you'll need it or not than to research all packages you need to install yourself.

Best regards,
Marcus

On 22.03.2017 05:34, Usman Haider wrote:

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 2:52 AM, Dennis Glatting <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 22:59 +0500, Usman Haider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently building GNU Radio 3.7.10.1 on Beaglebone black
> running Debian 8.6.  I have disable some components for testing and
> to speed up the process. After installing the dependencies when I run
> cmake I am getting following messages. Are these messages okay? Do I
> have to pass any flags to cmake like -march etc or not?

> -- Performing Test have_msse2
> -- Performing Test have_msse2 - Failed
> -- Performing Test have_msse3
> -- Performing Test have_msse3 - Failed
> -- Performing Test have_mssse3
> -- Performing Test have_mssse3 - Failed
> -- Performing Test have_msse4a
> -- Performing Test have_msse4a - Failed
> -- Performing Test have_msse4_1
> -- Performing Test have_msse4_1 - Failed
> -- Performing Test have_mavx
> -- Performing Test have_mavx - Failed
> -- Performing Test have_mavx2
> -- Performing Test have_mavx2 - Failed
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch 3dnow
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch mmx
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch sse
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch sse2
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch sse3
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch ssse3
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch sse4_a
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch sse4_1
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch sse4_2
> -- Architecture is not x86 or x86_64, Overruled arch avx
> -- Available architectures: generic;hardfp;neon;orc;norc
> -- Available machines: generic_orc;neon_hardfp_orc
> -- BUILD TYPE = RELEASE
> -- Base cflags = -O3 -DNDEBUG  -std=gnu99 -fvisibility=hidden -Wsign-
> compare -Wall -Wno-uninitialized -Wall
> -- BUILD INFO ::: generic_orc ::: GNU ::: -O3 -DNDEBUG  -std=gnu99
> -fvisibility=hidden -Wsign-compare -Wall -Wno-uninitialized -Wall
> -- BUILD INFO ::: neon_hardfp_orc ::: GNU ::: -O3 -DNDEBUG  -
> std=gnu99 -fvisibility=hidden -Wsign-compare -Wall -Wno-uninitialized
> -Wall -mfpu=neon -funsafe-math-optimizations -mfloat-abi=hard
> -- Compiler Version: cc (Debian 4.9.2-10) 4.9.2
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
> is NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
> -- ---- Adding ASM files
> -- -- Detected neon architecture; enabling ASM
> -- Adding source file:
> /home/debian/gnuradio/volk/kernels/volk/asm/neon/volk_16i_max_star_ho
> rizontal_16i.s

> Complete output
>
> http://pastebin.com/t3KSu0f5

You can build from source on the Beagle. I have done it.

Great!

However, the
Beagle has only a single core processor, you will have to mount swap
space, the 4G of memory isn't roomy - at all, and you will have to
install a bunch of additional packages.

Can you point me to those packages so that I do not miss something? I installed pre-reqs for GNU Radio and cmake seems to run fine with some warnings/messages as shown in my first email.

I don't recommend native builds but it can be done. Cross develop if
you can. I seem to recall it took a few /days/ to build, multiply if
there is a failure. You should also mount an external USB disk for
swap, /tmp, etc.

The compiler on the Beagle is old. I installed a more modern version.

I tried to cross develop but was not able to do so. I am still working on that approach. If you have done it or have any pointers please do share.  What compiler did you use? Did you do a full install of GNU Radio on BBB?
The Beagle isn't suited for GNURadio unless you have a low data rate
and low memory requirements, but it can work.

I'll also use low data-rates :)

Regarding VOLK, you may have to tune the build. You will have to look
up the processor specifics and tune the build appropriately.

I'll look how can I do it. Thanks for your time.

--
Usman