[Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with gnuradio-companion after pybombs install

From: Pavan Yedavalli
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with gnuradio-companion after pybombs installation
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 18:22:05 -0700

Hi,

I successfully followed the instructions on github to install pybombs, cloning the directory and then running
sudo python setup.py install

Everything successfully finished:

PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Phase 1: Creating install tree and installing binary packages:
Install tree:

\- gnuradio

+- uhd

\- apache-thrift
PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Phase 2: Recursively installing source packages to prefix:
PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Installing package: apache-thrift
Cloning: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Cloning: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Configuring: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Building: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Installing: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Installation successful.
PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Installing package: uhd
Cloning: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Configuring: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Building: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Installing: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Installation successful.
PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Installing package: gnuradio
Cloning: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Configuring: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Building: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
Installing: (100%) [===========================================================================================================================================]
PyBOMBS.install_manager - INFO - Installation successful.
address@hidden:~/pybombs$ source ~/prefix/setup_env.sh

But then when I run gnuradio-companion, it gives me the following error:

address@hidden:~/pybombs$ gnuradio-companion
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pavan/prefix/bin/gnuradio-companion", line 99, in <module>
run_main()
File "/home/pavan/prefix/bin/gnuradio-companion", line 87, in run_main
from gnuradio.grc.main import main
ImportError: No module named main

Why is it not able to find the "main" module? It seemed like everything was installed correctly. I did this install multiple times after removing the pybombs directory and doing it again, but it continues to give this same error. I don't really know where to go from here.

I saw that Mike Willis had a similar problem a bit ago and he said he found random files in
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/

Is there a way I can clean up/uninstall everything and just start from scratch with the correct steps also (I'm using Ubuntu 14.04)? I was hoping that all the steps in the pybombs installation would make everything work correctly. Please let me know.
Thanks so much for the help.

--
Pavan