Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio issues on BBB

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio issues on BBB
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 22:20:07 -0700

On 05/29/2017 04:49 AM, Usman Haider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using GNU Radio on beaglebone black (BBB). I have transmitter and
> receiver flowgraph with audio sink audio source. When I run the
> flowgraphs on laptop or desktops I receive all the data packets
> correctly. But when I run either receiver or transmitter flowgraph on
> BBB there are intermittent packet drops. Packet loss is very small but
> it is there. There are no audio underruns or audio overruns. I am using
> a usb sound card with BBB.
>
> I am using jessie 8.6 on BBB, GNU Radio version is 3.7.10.1. Enabled
> components are shown below
>
> $ gnuradio-config-info --enabled-components
> python-support;testing-support;volk;gnuradio-runtime;gr-blocks;gnuradio-companion;gr-fft;gr-filter;gr-analog;gr-digital;gr-audio;*
> alsa;* oss;* jack;*
> portaudio;gr-channels;gr-noaa;gr-pager;gr-utils;gr-video-sdl;gr-vocoder;gr-fcd;gr-wavelet;gr-wxgui;gr-zeromq
>

> Have anyone else tried using usb audio sound card on BBB with gnuradio
> before? Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks
>
> --
> Usman

If you're using jessie, wheezy or ubuntu,

  apt-get install cpufrequtils

and set the frequency of the CPU - or the governor to 'performance' - if
you haven't done so already.

It installs the cpufreq-info and cpufreq-set programs. I forget how to
use them.

It might not be your problem - check your memory usage - if you have
swap you might be thrashing.

I can't remember if I used the USB sound card on the BBB - or on the
Odroid. I have a HDMI monitor with speakers so I haven't use the USB
sound card for awhile.

Check to see if pulse audio is installed

  apt list --installed | grep pluseaudio

-- Cinaed