[Discuss-gnuradio] scratch space in output buffer

From: Miklos Maroti
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] scratch space in output buffer
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 14:57:18 -0500

Hi,

I would like to use scratch space within the output buffer of a block,
but not sure if I can rely on the scheduler not altering the content
of those items in the output buffer that I have written to but have
not made it available to downstream blocks within general_work. I know
how blocks, forecast, general_work and history works, but I think my
use case is not covered.

A simple toy use case would be to implement a fir filter without the
history call (I know that in this case history is better). Once a new
sample is taken from the input you multiply that with an N-length
kernel and add it to the output buffer and output only one item and
zero out N-item ahead.

Can I rely on the scheduler not to modify unproduced items (but of
course within the limits of ninput_items)? Should I return 0 for
forecast when there is not enough space in the output buffer? Would
such a block be synchronous?

Best,
Miklos