Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dB or dBm

From: lists
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dB or dBm
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 02:02:23 -0700

When a signal is modulated, you need to use a FFT technique ‎to get the power. My experience is all based on outmoded analog modem design, but the idea is the same. The hardware FFT based spectrum analyzer sums up the power in all the bins and gives you a number.

A sine wave only has one bin. So a modulated signal will always have lower peaks than a sine wave for the same power.

I have a HackRF and appreciate  this work.